Introduction - Goals for 2014

Do not fear failure, fear mediocrity - Layne Norton

When it comes to resolutions, everyone has something on their mind. Maybe it is weight loss, maybe quitting a bad habit, or maybe it is some extraordinary goal. For me this year, my resolution is to live my life to it's absolute fullest, and push myself past the limits of what I once thought was impossible. I am setting a goal of completing a 50 mile ultramarathon by the end of the 2014.

A little bit about myself: 

I am 25 years old and live in Minneapolis, MN. I am General Manager and Lead Trainer of an exciting new mobile Personal Training business called 3CLICK Fitness (www.3CLICKfitness.com). I live with my beautiful girlfriend, Isabel, in our home just outside the city. I am a graduate of the Univeristy of Minnesota and hold a B.S. in Kinesiology - Exercise and Health Sciences.

Fitness is a major part of my life, as you will learn reading this blog. As a kid and a teenager I was overweight, and growing up I had expected that was the way I would always be. When I was 17, I decided I was sick of being out of shape. I began walking regularly, and watching my food intake. Shortly after, my Mom purchased our family a membership to the YMCA, where I became hooked on weight lifting. It was exciting to have control over my body, my weight, and my overall physical condition. By the end of my weight loss journey, I had taken off 75 pounds. When I got hired for a manager position at a local Snap Fitness in 2007, my take on fitness changed. The thought of helping others achieve what I had achieved excited me. I decided I wanted to have a career in the fitness industry. I obtained my Personal Training certification in 2009 and completed my degree in Kinesiology about 2 years later. Last year we started, 3CLICK Fitness, a mobile Personal Training company servicing the Twin Cities metro. It has been and exciting year, and I am looking forward to continuing to grow our business to become the "Geek Squad of the fitness industry."

Up until about 16 months ago, my focus had always been on bodybuilding and powerlifting. I was focused on getting strong and getting big. I managed to make a lot of progress, getting my weight up to 215 lean pounds, and becoming very strong in my "Big 3" lifts - squat, bench press and deadlift. Although this was a great part of my fitness journey, I eventually became bored with bodybuilding, and longed for a new challenge. As a trainer, I work with a wide variety of clients, including a fair number of endurance athletes who come to me looking become stronger and stay injury free. These "everyday athletes" inspired me. They lived regular lives, had full time jobs, yet still had this incredible outlet for their passion for athletics. In the fall of 2012, at a Vikings tailgate party, my good friend Jess and I, inspired by a friend who recently completed an Ironman Triathlon, decided we were going to start running. The following week we completed a 10 mile run virtually untrained. We began doing these runs every weekend, slowly building our endurance. Since then, I've completed a marathon, 5 half marathons, three 10 milers, a 10k, and a 5k. I also began mountain biking this year, and am lucky enough to live near some fantastic single-track trails. Running and endurance sports are now my hobby and my passion. They excite me and allow me to set and achieve goals that give me confidence in every aspect of my life.

In November of this year, a client of mine, who is training for a 100 mile ultramarathon, asked if he could join Jess and I for our weekend long run, which at the time was 12 miles. We of course said yes, and by the end of that run, he had us inspired to test ourselves and increase the mileage of our long runs. The following week we completed a 20 mile long run. My client asked us if we'd like to do his "warm-up" race with him, a 50k Ultramarathon (31 miles). The new challenge caught my imagination, and we both agreed we would register.

That brings me to this blog:

This year I have three main running goals:
  • Complete a 50k Ultramarathon - The Chippewa 50k on April 26th, 2014
  • Complete a marathon in under 4:15
  • Complete a 50 mile Ultramarathon (specific event yet to be decided)

Since my first event is about 16 weeks away, my training program at this point is fairly loose, and changes a bit based on how my body is feeling, and my time restrictions. Here is a general outline of my week:

Mon- 6-8 mile tempo run
Tues- 6-8 mile easy run / resistance training
Wed- Off
Thur - 10 miles w/ 1.5-2.5 miles of hill work included
Fri - Resistance Training
Sat- Long Run - building on max mileage every 2 weeks (at this point my longest training run completed was 26.3 miles, completed on 12/28/13)
Sun- 3 mile recovery run / resistance training

I also have weight and nutrition goals relating to improving my running. At the beginning of this fall, I weighed just under 200 lbs. I knew that to improve my running, I needed to reduce my weight. I currently weigh about 185 pounds and would like to take off an additional 15 pounds, with as much of that as possible coming from fat. I believe an ideal running weight for my height and body type is approximately 170 lbs.

I have also modified my diet a good deal. I have tightened my restriction on refined gains and sugars, nearly eliminating them from my diet. I have also reduced my consumption of excess protein. In the bodybuilding discipline, you are taught to consume massive amounts of protein, primarily from animal sources. This massive protein intake is no longer necessary for my goals. I now take in 100-120g protein per day (based on the formula 1.2g per kg of bodyweight per day). I also track my daily diet using MyFitnessPal, and consume about 3000 calories per day.

I am going to be using this blog to document my running progress on a weekly basis. I will also include interviews with other runners and inspirational everyday athletes. I hope you continue to read and enjoy!




Comments

Popular Posts