Interview with Veteran Ultra Runner, Tony Villano


Hey Readers - 

Here is a chance to meet my good friend and running buddy, Tony Villano! He's an inspirational guy that has a passion for running and fitness. Enjoy the interview!
 
1. Tell us a bit about yourself – Where do you live, how old are you, do you have a family 
etc.?
 I’m 47 years old, married and father of three. I’m also a paint contractor,working with builders and re-modelers around the Twin Cities, and have my owncabinet finishing shop in Minneapolis. We raised our family in St. Louis Park, however two years ago, moved out to the Orono area, where we enjoy the “country” life. Baker Park and the Luce Line are favorite running routes of mine.

2. What is your athletic background? Did you grow up an athlete? 
Ha! No. In fact, when it came time to run the mile in gym class, I headed for the equipment shed.

3. What got you into running and eventually ultrarunning?
In my early 20’s, I served in the Army. Achieving that level of fitness laid a foundation that I kept returning to throughout my life. In my 30’s, I found myself forty pounds overweight, and experiencing borderline high blood pressure. I started with 5 and 10Ks. My wife started running as well, and in the after glow of a 10k in downtown St. Paul, suggested that we train for a half marathon. It was the inaugural year of the Green
Bay Marathon/Half Marathon. We registered, implemented an acceptable training
plan, packed the kids off to grandma’s house and headed down to Green Bay. By the
time we arrived and were waiting to pick up race packets, I decided to switch up to
the full marathon. Whaaat? Yep. My wife completed her half and parked herself at
the finish line to wait for me. She loves to tell the story of being so inspired
watching the marathon front runners come in, and then excitement turning to dread
as the clock kept running and I was nowhere in sight. There was a heat index advisory
that day, and runners were dropping like flies. Despite the heat, and despite not
properly training for the distance, I did manage to come in at 4:45:04. And that was
it… I ran several more marathons over the next five or so years.

4. What made you decide to try ultrarunning? What was your first ultra-distance event?
In 2004, I was feeling a little bored with the idea of training for another road race,
and had been reading about trail running. I decided to try the Trail Mix 50 K and was
almost immediately hooked. I was drawn to what was, at that time, more of a
counter-culture. Small groups of experienced runners, who valued the camaraderie,
enjoyed running in nature and weren’t overly concerned with competition outside of
their own personal goals and challenges.

5. What do you regard as your best performance at an ultra-distance event?
Well, that depends on what is considered a best performance. There are two I’m most proud of. 89 miles in 24 hours at the FANS 24 hour Race… and finishing the Superior Trail 50 miler in 13 hours and 13 minutes.



6. Give us an idea of your training philosophy. How do you prepare for an ultra-event?
In addition to solid base mileage and core work, I also spend time mentally preparing, and journaling my progress. The highs are high and the lows are low. You can physically prepare for any distance, but one has to train the mind to be in tune with the body. For example, you have to know when to push through discomfort, and when to adjust your short term goal to avoid injury. It does help to have a high pain tolerance.

7. What is your typical weekly mileage when training for an event?
How much of that mileage is made up your long runs?  Three to four days of running… 40-50 miles per week, with half of that weekly mileage being one long run. And then one or two days per week core work. At my age I need to incorporate some recovery days.

8. What do you think is the most important aspect of being successful in ultrarunning? 
 It’s 10% physical and 90% mental.

9. Do you still do shorter races, or only long distance events? 
I’ll run any distance.  This past year, I trained with my 21 year old daughter and ran with her on her first marathon.  It was a good day.

10. Do you strength train? Do you believe strength training aids performance in runners?  
Yes, absolutely. I was never a fast paced runner. When I started working on core strength, my time definitely improved.  Enlisting a personal trainer can really make a difference in helping to reach certain goals.

11. What is your favorite piece of running gear?  
SHOES. Let’s just say I have way more shoes than my wife. I wear everything from Vibrams to Hokas, depending on specific training.

12. What events are you training for this coming season? Which are you most looking forward to? 
The Zumbro Midnight 50 miler, the Chippewa 50K, the FANS 24 Hour Race, and the Afton 50k. I’m most looking forward to the Superior Trail 100 in September, 2014.

Comments

Popular Posts