Keeping in Shape on Vacation in New Orleans

Current Weight: 182 lbs. 
Long Run This Past Weekend: 10 miles
Total Distance Logged Last Week: 36 miles 


Jackson Square in New Orleans, LA
Last week I took a trip with my Mother and Brother to The Big Easy - New Orleans, LA. While I may not quite fit in with the crazy party culture that awaited us in our hotel just off Bourbon Street, I did enjoy 70 degree weather and some fun sightseeing runs every day that I was there. I also enjoyed a ton of creole and cajun food while keeping my overall nutrition in reasonably good order.

Each day I picked a different route, and managed to see many of the most famous parts of New Orleans in the French Quarter, Downtown, and the Katrina ravaged neighborhoods on foot in the early morning hours, before most of the city was awake. Since I didn't have the time for high mileage runs, I focused on short distance quality runs - mainly tempo runs and interval runs since the area is flat as a pancake. As much as I enjoyed the trip and enjoyed my morning runs there, I couldn't help but miss our great system of trails and parks in Minneapolis. Every time I leave the home I further appreciate the great interconnected trail system and nature areas that we have here in Minneapolis.

This week is peak week (week of 3/24), meaning our last high mileage week before we taper down for the Zumbro Midnight 50-Miler. We are very excited to finally put all of our hard work to good use out on the trails for this event! This week my mileage goal is 55+ miles, and we'll be finishing the week with a 27 mile training run on Sunday. 

Comments

Popular Posts