FANS Endurance Run - a milestone for me and a longtime goal achieved for Tony

Date: 6/13/14
Current Weight: 180 lbs.
Total Miles Last Week: 63
Long Run This Past Weekend: 51 miles at FANS Endurance Run


Tony and I finishing a lap around Lake Snelling
The day had come, Saturday, 6/6/14. Tony and I had been talking about this day since the first runs we had together back in the fall of this past year. He had participated in 5 previous FANS runs, all with the goal of 100 miles, which had narrowly eluded him over the past few years. This year we knew was going to be different for him, we had put in more miles than he ever had before in training, had a solid resistance training program that had prepped our bodies for 24 hours of pounding the trail and asphalt, and done practice runs of the course in the weeks prior. This was Tony's year for sure - 100 miles will never be an easy task, but Tony's body was more ready than ever.

Somewhere along the line in the snowy mindlessness of our winter long runs, Tony managed to convince me that I should do FANS Endurance Run, too. They hold a 6, 12, and 24 hour race, so my initial plan was to try my hand at the six hour. As the year progressed and I surpassed more milestones, I realized that six hours was not going to be a challenge. At that point, I decided that if I'm doing the same training as Tony, I may as well try my hand at the 24 hour run with him. Going into the run, I felt confident about the time and distance. We had a plan, had a pacing strategy, and had hundreds of quality miles under our belts that had readied our bodies for this challenge.

We started the day by getting to the lake, riding there with Tony's wife, Tonya, and older son, Ben. We brought over our bags of extra clothes, food, foot care supplies, shoes, etc, and went to weight in. As we weighed in Tonya and Ben started setting up the tent that they would watch the race from and store our supplies in. Think of it like a pit stop in an indy 500 race. As we walked away from the weigh in, the cloudy skies started to roar with thunder and then came the rain. From inside the tent the rain made so much noise we couldn't even speak to each other without shouting. This was not the way we had hoped to start a 24 hour race.
Suited up at the start line with trash bags over our clothes to keep dry
Wet feet can be an ultra distance runners downfall. Even when all other variables are in place, wet feet just about always lead to blisters. Blisters are the one thing that can stop a trained runner in their tracks. We ran strong through the first mile stones, 20..30..40 miles. We were keeping pace and feeling good. Then at about mile 45 one of my blisters that had been nothing more than a mild nuisance prior, burst and caused me a lot of pain. At this point my pace slowed and started to realize just how much the blisters had changed the possible outcome of my event. At about mile 48, I decided I would finish 2 more laps to pass the 50 mile mark and then call it a day. By the end of my run, running was incredibly painful and my running form had deteriorated significantly. At 11:20 and 51 miles, I ended my run.

After I finished I sat in the tent for a few hours watching Tony continue to run strong for a bit, then slip into a slow patch that made me think he was going to drop out of striking distance of the 100 mile goal. Just about the time I left the course to go home, he had gotten a second wind that would end up getting him through the night.

I woke up the next morning to find out that Tony was painfully close to being on pace for 100 miles...would he make it?!?! Sure enough, he pulled it off and finished his race with 100.9 miles. I'm super proud of him. He proved that 100 miles is indeed not that far.

Although I was disappointed in the outcome of the run for myself, I need to respect and be happy with another milestone achieved. I've now completed 50+ miles in a single event. I am very excited to get back to FANS next year and reach new milestones yet again!

Tony receiving the coveted "OPEN 24 HOURS" sweatshirt reserved for 100 mile finishers at FANS




Comments

Popular Posts