2014 in Review and Goals for 2015!

Date: 12/28/14
Current Weight: 185 lbs
Total Miles Last Week: 35
Long Run This Week: 18 miles


(Photo Credit: Jake Haugen Photography, 2014)
One year ago tomorrow I posted for the first time on my blog, then known as "Ultramarathon Project 2014." I had very recently decided that one of my biggest goals in 2014 would be centered around completing an ultramarathon - defined as a race that exceeds 26.2 miles. My notion of the ultra at the time was 50k (31 miles) and nothing beyond that. 

Here are the goals I set on 12/29/2013: 
  • Complete a 50k Ultramarathon - The Chippewa 50k on April 26th, 2014
  • Complete a 50 miles in an Ultramarathon (specific event yet to be decided)
  • Complete a road marathon in under 4:15
I achieved my first goal of completing a 50k ultramarathon in April at the Chippewa 50k on the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin. On June 6th, I completed 51 consecutive miles at FANS endurance run. I achieved my road marathon goal on June 21st at Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN, getting a time of 3:59. I also ran three additional races of 50k or more, setting a personal record at each one, and got a huge personal record in half-marathon by completing the Wheels-Off Half Marathon in a time of 1:39. I finished the year by shaving a full hour off of my 50k time from Chippewa earlier in the year at the Icebox 480 - a sure sign that the consecutive training all summer long had paid off. More than anything, I learned that my body and my mind have no limits that cannot be overcome. 

A year ago, the concept of an Ultramarathon sounded crazy. I was only about a year into running, and had only just begun to focus on it for more than the fitness benefits. I had ran one marathon and a couple of half marathons. I did them for the feelings of accomplishment and achievement, not because I really enjoyed running. Around this time last year, that began to change. I started running with Tony Villano, a 15 year ultramarathon vet who had completed a dozen or so Ultra's, including 89 miles at FANS endurance run the year prior. He helped me change my mental concept of the body's limitations when it came to running, and convinced me that trying my hand at a 50k was worth a shot. This year he also achieved a huge goal of his, running his first consecutive 100 miles at FANS 24-Hour Endurance Run in June. Now I run because I love it. It allows me to connect with nature, provides me with peace of mind and stress relief, and keeps my body fit and healthy. 


 This year I have a new set of endurance sport goals: 
  • Complete my first winter Fat Bike Trail Race at the Fatbike Frozen 40 at Elm Creek Park on 2/15/15. (more to come on my new found Fat Biking obsession in later blogs!)
  • Complete the Zumbro 50-mile in April. (This year I completed 41 miles and DNF'd due to mild hypothermia and weather conditions) 
  • Weigh in at 175 lbs or less for my peak season races in June - September
  • Run the Afton 50k Trail Race in under 5:30
  • Run a road marathon in under 3:45 
  • Complete the Superior Sawtooth 100 in September
I'm more excited than ever to see what is to come both in my personal and professional life in 2015. I find setting specific measurable goals is very important and helpful, and that is really why I started this blog in the first place. Thanks to all of you who have followed this blog over the past year!

2014 Picture Recap:

After one of our first 50k+ training runs (Dec, 13)

Finishing lap two at the Zumbro Midnight 50 mile with hail and lightning coming down (April, 2014) (Photo Credit: Jake Haugen Photography)

Crossing the finish line at the Chippewa Trail 50k, my first Ultramarathon finish

Hill training at Highland Park

Shenanigans at FANS 24 Hour in June


After finishing Grandma's Marathon 6/21/14 (We got engaged about an hour after this pic was taken!)
Before the Afton 50k Race on 7/5/14 (my birthday race!)

After crossing the finish line with a big PR at the Wheels-Off Half Marathon in September

A Proud Trainer with Erik after his first half marathon!

Before Icebox 480 on 11/8/14
Frosty Beard at Thanksgiving Day Trail Trot 10k


Here's to a great 2015! 


Comments

Popular Posts