1/7/14 - Surviving the Cold and Keeping at It

Date: 1/7/14
Current Weight: 183 lbs. 
Long Run This Past Weekend: 10 miles w/ 4 quarter mile hill sprints 
Total Miles Logged Last Week: 30

As anyone in my area is quite aware, it is about as cold as it gets in MN right now. We just hit a new record low between the temp and wind chill yesterday. In December, January and February, it is typical for us to go below zero on a weekly basis, sometimes for several days at a time. This makes it difficult to hit outdoor workouts, and while I will brave a few degrees below zero for an important long run, my shorter runs end up on the treadmill in weather like this. 

As anyone who is a runner knows, there is nothing much to like about the treadmill, except for the fact that it is in a climate controlled environment. It is bland, boring, and mentally draining. Over the past couple months, I have learned to make the most of treadmill workouts, and even make them somewhat fun. Using intervals and hills on the treadmill keeps you mentally engaged, and gives you a challenge. I typically do shorter workouts on the treadmill - between 3 and 6 miles, so I aim for quality over quantity. Here are a few of my favorite workouts on the treadmill:

30 Minute VO2 Max Interval Training Routine
5 min warm-up
4 x 4 minutes at or slightly below 5k race pace w/ 1 min low intensity jog in between each interval 
5 min cool down

30 Minute Hill Routine
5 min warm-up moderate pace (half-marathon pace, roughly)
2 min x 5 @ 8% grade incline w/ 2 min at flat in between each hill
5 min cool down

Here is a quick video that I shot with a few treadmill tips: 


This weekend my running buddy, Tony, and I will be shooting for another big milestone - my first 30 mile run. So far the longest distance I've ever done is 26.6 miles (we did this two weeks ago). I ended that run feeling euphoric and energetic. I have total confidence that we will be able to crush this 30 mile workout this weekend! 




Comments

Popular Posts