First 50k and a New Outlook on Ultra-Running


Tony and I after our 50k training run - 1/12/14
Date: 1/13/14
Current Weight: 182 lbs. 
Long Run This Past Weekend: 31.6 miles 
Total Miles Logged Last Week: 44

This week marked another big milestone for my training - my first 50k (31 mile) run! After a brutally cold week, Minnesota was kind enough to grant us a gorgeous weekend that couldn't have been more perfect for out weekend long run. It was also been a very busy week for myself and 3CLICK Fitness. Typically the first full week after New Years marks the start of the busy season for the fitness industry. Things are hopping at 3CLICK, and we are excited about 2014! That being said..I'm a busy guy, and sometimes it can be hard to fit in running. Last week I had to get sneaky about fitting them in, but I did manage to get in about 14 miles throughout the week, mostly quick runs over the lunch hour or in between training sessions. I find that nothing settles me and helps me think clearly during stressful day than fitting in a run, even if it is a short 5k. 

For Sunday, Tony and I had planned out a 50k training run starting in the mid-morning. We headed out around 9am and got back just after 2:30pm. All and all I was surprised at how well we did. We stopped at a coffee shop for water, and aside from that I survived on chocolate covered espresso beans (which I have found are about the best thing ever on a long run) and a 1/3 of a Gluten Free Bar - a rice/soy protein type bar sold at Dunn Bros. The thing that has shocked me the most about the big distances we've been getting into, is how I perceive them mentally, and how that affects my perceived physical exertion. The first 20 miler we did in late November felt like a monster, it was hard...really hard. It is crazy to me that this past weekends run felt much better than that 20 miler did just over a month ago. I ended much less fatigued, we even did a "sprint" from mile 29-30 (note that a sprint after 29 miles is anything under a 9 minute mile...haha). Overall, my point is that I am less intimidated by the numbers associated with distance running now than I was even a few weeks ago. Each mile is just a mile, and I no longer have any doubt that I will be able to push through it. It helps a ton to have an experienced ultra-marathoner at my side. Tony has changed my perceptions of what distances should be hard for a runner. His experience and expertise in ultra-running has also been very valuable in helping me push past boundaries. I will be sure to get an interview on this blog with him so you guys can learn more about him. He is an inspiring athlete, and an awesome training partner. 

...and of course today everyone has been asking how I feel, am I sore, etc. In all honesty my body feels great, I feel relaxed, and I feel very mentally refreshed. There is something very cleansing about a good long run. I am very much a proponent of the "Listen to Your Body" school of thought. If my body tells me to slow down, I will. 

This week will be much like last in terms of training during the week. I hit a quick 5k easy run tonight to help me stay loose and recover from yesterdays effort. The rest of the week I will sneak in a few more 30-45 minute runs and my regular 3 resistance training workouts. We have been alternating high mileage long runs with "quality" slightly short long runs over the past few weeks, and I think we'll be following that pattern this weekend with a half-marathon distance run with hill sprints. 




Comments

Popular Posts